Today’s recipe is one I am currently obsessed with! It came about on accident one night when I veganized an old recipe I had for tikka masala. The result = AMAZING! My fiancé happily inhaled his portion and swiftly went back for seconds, as did I 🙂
We are both big fans of Indian food, and I mean who isn’t?! It’s delicious, comforting and so so satisfying. And I love it even more when I can create Indian style food at home. So since this recipe tasted so scrummy I just had to share the recipe with you all!
This is so simple to throw together and is a great 30min mid-week meal. Packed full of protein and bursting with flavour from the combination of spices it will definitely hit that sweet spot in your tummy. And I bet you’ll even have most of the ingredients in your pantry already 🙂
Chickpea & Spinach Tikka Masala
Author: Everyday Nourished NZ
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground chili
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped or grated
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ c coconut cream
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach
- To serve: Cooked brown rice and fresh chopped coriander
- Heat large pan and cook onions for 6-8mins until soft and starting to turn brown, adding a little water if they start to stick. (Start cooking your rice now too).
- Add spices, garlic, ginger, lemon zest and salt and cook for a further 1-2 mins.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, sweet chili sauce, lemon juice and coconut cream, cover and simmer for 5-10mins until the sauce is slightly thickened. You can add up to 1/4c water at this stage if you want it saucier.
- Add spinach one handful at a time, once wilted season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over brown rice and top with fresh coriander.
What’s your favourite Indian style dish? Mine (apart from this lush creation) would have to be a good dahl! Let me know in the comments below what yours is 🙂
I hope you enjoy! Much love xx