Sushi is one of my favourite foods! It’s so versatile and is something that is great to make ahead of time and can be transported easily so is great for lunchboxes or picnics at the beach 🙂
This is one of my favorite flavour combinations at the moment, but there are so many different ingredients to add to your sushi so I encourage you to play around and find a flavour combo that you love!
You may find sushi quite hard to roll when you first start making it yourself, but persist!! It takes practice and patience to master making sushi yourself, but it’s worth sticking with it!! YouTube is a great place to find tutorials that walk you through step-by-step.
Sweet Chilli Tofu Sushi
Author: Everyday Plantbased
- 1 ½ – 2 cups dry sushi rice, cooked
- 3-4 TBSP Rice wine vinegar
- 1 300g packet firm tofu
- Sweet chilli sauce
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium red capsicum, sliced
- ½ cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Lettuce (optional)
- 6 Nori sheets
- First cook the rice according to packet instructions, let cool for 10mins, then place the rice in a non-metallic bowl and add the rice wine vinegar and gently fold into the rice. Place to the side to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Make the sweet chilli tofu by removing the tofu from the packet and gently press between some kitchen roll to remove moisture, then slice into strips. Place some sweet chilli sauce on a plate and gently place the tofu in the sauce and coat evenly. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 20mins. Take tofu out of the oven and let cool.
- To assemble the sushi lay a nori sheet on a sushi mat. Wet your hands and use a wet spoon (this way the rice will not stick to anything) to place some sushi rice onto 2/3 of the nori. Then lay some tofu, cucumber, capsicum, carrot, avocado and lettuce on top and roll, wetting the end of the nori sheet to help it stick together.
- Roll all 6 nori sheets then slice them into bite sized pieces. Enjoy with some soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi 🙂
Let me know in the comments below what your favourite sushi is, I’d love to hear from you! Have a fantastic week!
Much love, xx