I hope everyone is well, and enjoying the warmer weather (if you’re in the southern hemisphere that is!). Spring is well and truly here in New Zealand and as the flowers start to bloom and the weather warms up I always start to crave fresh salads for lunch. Tabbouleh is one of my recent discoveries and it has fast turned into a family favourite in my household! We love to have it in wholemeal wraps with hummus and greens or along side some vegetable kebabs as a quick easy dinner. This is also great to whip up and have a batch in the fridge for a quick easy snack.
If you haven’t tried bulghur wheat before I highly recommend it. It is super easy to cook, simply soak in boiled water and let sit for 15-20 mins. It is also super healthy for you containing calcium, iron, manganese, zinc and vit B6 and many more amazing vitamins and minerals. As well as having a high fibre content and low GI which helps to regulate your blood sugar levels and keep you feeling fuller for longer.
The recipe I have created below is not traditional tabbouleh, but is an oil-free healthy plantbased version and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do! If you make it be sure to tag me on Instagram @everydaynourishednz or on Facebook @everydaynourishednz as I would love to see your creations!
Much love xx
Author: Everyday Plantbased
- 1 cup dry bulghur wheat
- 1 big bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook bulghur wheat according to package directions. Then drain any leftover water and let cool before adding the other ingredients
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and let sit for a few hours before serving to let the flavours develop
- Serve on its own or in a Lebanese wrap with hummus and greens 🙂